Saturday, March 21, 2015

さよなら Kinderbabies!

It's important to live in the moment because once the moment is gone, you can never have it back. Ok! That's a little too morbid! Let's lighten the mood!

Yesterday, I watched my favorite kindergarten class, aptly named "The Kinderbabies," graduate. I teach kindergarten at two schools, but I wanted to watch the Kinderbabies, and not the Kindercrazies, graduate. The problem was that I was at my Kindercrazy school for the day, so I dressed for the ceremony, but told the head of school affairs that I would go to my Monday school to watch the Kinderbabies graduate. His response? "Why?"

I didn't understand why this was an issue. I travel between my three schools for graduation, sports day, recitals, festivals and welcome and farewell parties, so how was this any different? I told him that they asked me to come (truth), but he asked "why" again. So I lied and told him that they wanted me to give a speech. In reality, they wanted me to meet the parents but an official introduction was a part of the schedule. After I said this, he let the subject go. However, when it was time for me to leave, he turned to me and said "まじ" or "really?" I stopped for the moment, but the IT teacher told me to ignore him and go. Bye Felicia!

At the graduation and sat down with the parents and awaited the ceremony.

Their chairs and milk carton giraffes.

 The Kinderbabies were individually introduced and announced what they wanted to be when they grow up. There was a bout of laughter from the audience when one boy said he wanted to be a super hero, and there was a shocked response when a girl aspired to be a police officer. You go girl!  

The ceremony did not greatly differ from that of the U.S. We listened to speeches from the principal, clapped along to the kids' singing, and cried when the students received their diplomas. Yes, I cried! The Kinderbabies collected their diplomas from the principal and then walked down the red carpet to find their mother or father waiting to congratulate them. We were all beside ourselves when a mentally and physically disabled Kinderbaby, who is bound of a wheelchair, was pushed to greet her happily crying mother - it was a very touching moment.

Handing her a present
For me, I realized that English playtime with the Kinderbabies had ended.  Afterwards a few kinderbabies approached me and asked me to regard them favorably as 1st graders. I don't teach 1st grade at this school. Excuse me while I continue crying!

Goodbye babies! (Probably the only time I let them hug me lol)


No comments:

Post a Comment